Saturday, August 6, 2011

NaNoWriMo - The Final Days

After passing the finish line on July 31 (and then exceeding it by 400 words) I remembered why I love NaNoWriMo so much. The joy of having written so much in such a short time is extremely satisfying. I mean, I wrote a whole novel in one month, for goodness sake. I think I deserve a little satisfaction.

On day 29 I was rather lazy. I wrote a mere 600 words on that day. Day 30 picked up a little. I wrote about 1,000 words (yeah, I know, still not that much). And finally on day 31, I wrote 4,000 words which brought my novel's word count to a total of 50,400 words exactly. In my 2011 goals I said that I wanted to compete in and win NaNoWriMo 2011 with at least 100 words over the 50k goal -- and I did it!

So, you want a synopsis of Neighborhood Watch? You want to know what in the world I've been writing about for the past 31 days? Whether you want one or not... here it is (long over due - sorry!):

Military brat, Adriana Rodriguez, is moving once again just a couple of weeks before she begins her senior year of high school. Her dad's lack of consideration about moving infuriates Adriana... but there is nothing she can do about it. Her father has already accepted the position in a new place and they must move. At first, things are rough. Adriana has trouble making friends, she is still angry with her father, and then to make matters worse, she starts hallucinating... or is she? When an unlikely adventure picks up in her new home, Adriana is caught between her two neighbors. One neighbor is a young, attractive, mysterious guy who talks to Adriana but won't give her the answers she's looking for. The other neighbor, an old, creepy criminal, might be a murderer. But despite all the dangers and surprises, Adriana involves herself in all these mysteries and might actually be happy she moved after all.


Thanks for all the support I was given during July! My parents, my sisters, my friends, and especially my Savior were all a huge help in getting this book's first draft written. Speaking of my first draft... here is a pic of me proudly holding said draft:




50,400 words. 147 pages. 31 days. NaNoWriMo 2011 winner. 



1 comment:

  1. MK!!!! It was a rough month --- helping you to keep your sanity but we are very proud of you and glad you did it!!! You are awesome! xoxoxo Mom

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!