Monday, October 3, 2011

2011 Goals... how they're coming

So, if anyone remembers, I had four major writing goals for 2011. I have three months left in the year and I still have a lot to do to get three out of four of these goals done.

Goal 1: Edit Shiloh's Children well enough to show my family and friends.
Umm... this goal is definitely not going well. I want to edit, don't get me wrong. I've just been lazy. And confused. And overwhelmed by the thought of editing a novel. Having a lot less school to do this semester might help me to get more done (maybe, hopefully!).

Goal 2: Enter at least 10 writing contests.
Ok, so, I expanded this goal a bit to include work I submit for publication. So far, I have submitted work to: 1) Bastiat Essay Contest (late entry so it didn't count), 2) Awaken the Sleeping Poet Festival (won Honorable Mention), 3) Optimist International Essay Contest (won first place at the District level but did not advance from there), 4) sent two poems to Starsongs Magazine for publication (they accepted one which will be published soon), 5) figment.com's Lyrics Contest (did not win). So, I'm halfway there. I still have five more contests to enter and/or publishers to submit to before I can count this goal as finished.

Goal 3: Win NaNoWriMo 2011 with at least 100 words over the 50,000 words required.
Complete! Actually, I made it with 400 words over the 50,000 words required. Woot!

Goal 4: Finish the first draft of Ten Plagues.
Gee, umm, And I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I seriously doubt that this goal is going to happen as I haven't touched Ten Plagues since January. I'd rather spend the time writing another first draft on the second draft of Shiloh's Children.

So, there it is. My honest assessment of my 2011 writing goals thus far in the year. I still have three months (and I hope to get a lot or all of this done in that time) but I'm not going to wear myself out over these goals. I made these goals in order to stretch and challenge myself to make writing a higher priority in my life and I think these goals have done that. No matter how much more I get done in the next three months, I'll be happy to have accomplished some of these tasks and learn from them so that my 2012 writing goals will be even more successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!